About The Coalition
The SEL for Washington Coalition is a grassroots effort and growing coalition of members who educate about and advocate for access to Social and Emotional Learning and skill development in Washington public schools. Along with other education advocates and organizations, we endeavor to provide insight and guidance for policy makers, educators and parents to more fully understand the importance of teaching and developing SEL skills for today’s students.
The SEL for Washington Coalition was founded and is lead by parents Sarah Butcher and Jennifer Karls. Sarah and Jennifer work closely with members of the coalition and policy makers to further efforts in Washington State to bring Social Emotional Learning and skill development to students across Washington schools.
Supporting the academic, social and emotional growth of each and every Washington student through effective social and emotional learning programs, policies, and practices in Washington schools.
· Integrate Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) within the K-12 education system through development of standards and benchmarks, technical assistance, and guidance with research supported curriculum and instruction techniques.
· Ensure adequate staffing of school psychologists, counselors, school social workers, behavioral interventionists, mental health providers, school nurses, and family engagement personnel.
· Require teachers preparation programs and professional development to include instruction in the understanding, use, and development of Social and Emotional Learning skills and effective classroom management strategies.
· Create a coordinated system-of-care approach that involves effectively engaging appropriate agencies and community partners to expand available services and supports for students who are dealing with trauma, substance abuse, and mental health issues.
· Integrate data systems to better inform strategies, trigger supports, and provide research-based interventions for students and families.